The fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual are guaranteed by the constitution but are subject to respect for the rights and freedoms of others and for public interest.With reference to life, liberty, security of the person and protection of law:A person shall be lawfully deprived of personal liberty in certain circumstances:
• In execution of the sentence or order of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been convicted.
• In execution of a court order punishing him for contempt of court.
• For the purpose of bringing him before a court of law in execution of an order of the court.
• Upon reasonable suspicion of his having committed or being about to commit a criminal offence.
• For the purpose of the persons education or welfare if below 18 years.
• For the purpose of preventing the spread of an infectious or contagious disease.
• For the purpose of care, treatment or protection, if the person is or is reasonably suspected to be of unsound mind, addicted to drugs or is a vagrant.
• For the purpose of preventing the unlawful entry of the person into Kenya or for the purpose of effecting the expulsion, extradiction or other lawful removal of that person from Kenya or for the purpose of restricting the person while being conveyed through Kenya in the course of extradiction or removal as a convicted prisoner from one country to another.
• To such extent as may be necessary in the execution of a lawful order requiring the person to remain within a specified area within Kenya or prohibiting him from being within such an area.